My blog post might be too long for you, and it is. Believe me. I wrote it! That’s why I’ve divided it into multiple parts
- – Parshat Chayei Sarah (this post!)
- – Story 29 – Burial of Sarah
- – Story 30 – Finding Becky
- – Story 31 – Isaac Meets Rebecca
- – Story 32 – Abraham’s Offspring
Allow me to start with the highlights of the Parsha:
- Sarah died. Abraham got a piece of land for their tombs.
- Isaac does almost nothing and gets an amazing wife.
- To make an oath, Eliezer (I don’t like calling him servant) places his hand on what I am guessing is Abraham’s Brit Milah scar.
- Consent is explained to us: If she says no… it is no.
- Agency and respect for self-determination are also revealed to us with Laban and his mom asking Rebecca what she wants to do, and accepting her decision.
- Isaac loved Rebecca.
- We get the Veil over the face and the Chuppah origins, setting up a whole thing about Jewish weddings (I wonder who did the chairs?)
- Abraham got many more children, including Midian, with Keturah, whom Rashi says is the same, Hagar.
- Hagar can’t catch a break, and it is called a Slave again.
- And there are a bunch of really cool names to consider for the next time you all have kids. Enough with the Daniels, Simons, Rubens, Joshuas and so on… We need to bring Ishbak, Jokshan Zimra et al back!
Keywords: Consent – Agency -Self Determination and Love.And no tv.And Nora Ephron!
New blog post tomorrow. And a lot of maps, including one for each story
Once again, comments, recommendations, critiques and/or anything you might want to share with me regarding the maps, let me know here or on Instagram (@torahmaps)
Your favourite Mapper (or digital Cartographer),
To go to one of the additional posts from this Parsha, follow the links: